We think that there are nine types of seducers. So, which one do you think you are?
Are you a calculated, manipulative but cool kind of charmer, like Sebastian from Cruel Intentions? Or would you rather make someone beg for your attention, just as Sebastian’s step-sister, Kathryn, does?
If you would like to learn about how you can ignite your seductive powers, then why not read on to see if you can recognize the characteristics of yourself which make people excited. You can use this characteristic to stir emotions within people that are out of their control. This is your time to shine!
We are going to evaluate nine seductive styles depicted in The Art of Seduction by Robert Greene. We will show you what these styles will look like and give you examples of Movie Stars playing these roles for you to take a closer look at.
Not only will you be able to see what type of seducer you are, but you will be able to pick out all of your friends’ styles, too. Discover who in your friendship circle is the most powerful seducer out of all of you.
Amanda Becker plays the character Lacey Chabert in Not Another Teen Movie. This is a very extreme example of a seductive type we have named, The Siren. This is the most powerful type of seducer.
As soon as Amanda enters any room, she entrances her audience because she is overflowing with sexual energy. Just like the famous Sex Siren that is Marilyn Monroe, who plays well on man’s most basic of instincts, transforming them quickly into childish slaves from once strong, capable men.
Robert Greene, in The Art of Seduction, writes that “The Siren is the ultimate male fantasy figure because she offers a total release from the limitations of life. In her presence, which is always heightened and sexually charged, the male feels transported to a world of pure pleasure. She is dangerous, and in pursuing her energetically the man can lose control over himself, something he yearns to do.”
Do you want to play the role of The Siren? Here’s how you can do so, just by following these simple steps:
- You must be able to stand out from all other women, using high femininity and power sexual presence. You can do this through the use of makeup and your clothing choice;
- Don’t be “easy!” Try being distant or elusive and make men work hard to capture your attention and interest;
- Seem like you are dangerous – be daring, be wild;
- Practice your erotic tone of voice, your animal presence and your suggestive powers of persuasion. As a perfect example of how to do this, Marilyn Monroe deepened her childlike tones to make it truly seductive.
Robert Greene’s, The Art of Seduction, comments that “A Rake’s greatest asset is his reputation. Never downplay your bad name, or seem to apologize for it. Instead, embrace it, enhance it. It is what draws women to you.”
In the film, Crazy Stupid Love, Ryan Gosling plays a character called Jacob, who is a very intense Rake. As the “hot guy from the bar”, he never ceases in his relentless pursuit of every woman. His desire is infectious to all women and he plays to their weaknesses, be it via flattery, persuasion or causing emotional carnage. Women love a man who has the ability to mix danger with pleasure, which The Rake is more than capable of doing, but women would never admit to liking.
True Rakes are not thwarted by a woman’s resistance. Just like Jacob when Hannah resists his advances, a prominent Rake will just be excited by this and encouraged in his ambition. No is not an answer to a Rake.
Can you see how unabashed Jake is in the video? He feels absolutely no need to curb the desire he feels for Hannah, and his confidence does not appear knocked when she resists him initially. Can you see this, too?
Later in the Movie, Jake is chatting up a stranger in a bar when Hannah appears to steal him back:
Want to read more about Jacob and his Rake techniques shown in Crazy Stupid Love? Click here to read the article we wrote solely about how Jacob attracts the girls.
It is arguable that the videos we have shown you are not able to depict the capabilities of The Rake when it comes to stirring up the emotions of a woman. If you would like to watch an emotional stir up on a much more basic level, click this link to watch an excerpt from Shame. Here Michael Fasbender plays a character called Brandon, who manages to stir the emotions of a stranger whilst riding the subway.
If you want to play the role of The Rake in your friendship group, then follow these steps:
- Do not show any hesitation. Feel free. If you want her, go and get her;
- If your target can focus less on what you’re saying and more on the feelings you stir, the better the impact of your seduction technique;
- Offer to play the female fantasy! Women don’t want to have to play an expected role, they want a man who is totally free to give himself to her, even if it’s just for a night;
- You must portray a dark and risky side. Make her feel that she is special and has the opportunity to be a part of something unique and exciting. Give her the permission to needs to live out her deepest, darkest fantasies;
- Don’t be paranoid that you’re going too far: you want to give the impression that you will go above and beyond every other man just to please her;
- Make women want to better you and change you – women find this very sexually attractive. You may want to change but The Rake is completely incapable of doing so;
- How should women think of The Rake? You’re irresistibly attractive, you have an intense desire to please her and to please her constantly, you hate any conventional approaches, and your streak of rebellion makes her think of you as being dangerous and therefore exciting.
The Ideal Lover
What does The Art of Seduction say about The Ideal Lover? “Most people have dreams in their youth that get shattered or worn down with age. They find themselves disappointed by people, events, reality, which cannot match their youthful ideals. Ideal Lover’s thrive on people’s broken dreams, which become lifelong fantasies. Do you long for romance? Adventure? Lofty spiritual communion? The Ideal Lover reflects your fantasy.
Casanova was portrayed as an Ideal Lover, but we are going to look further into someone who was portrayed a little more recently. Let’s take Leonardo Di Caprio in his role playing Jack in Titanic. He prevents Rose from killing herself because she is so upset by her pre-arranged engagement to Caledon, just to aid her family out of their financial difficulties; a man she does not love.
The disappointment that Rose carries around with her because her life is not how she had planned it to be is wonderfully illustrated and she yearns for the dreams she had during her youth regarding adventure and romance. Jack captures her heart because he is these things. He removes her from her upper-class world and immerses her into his simple world of adventure, romance, and fun. This can be shown in multiple scenes where they are dancing in third class, running around the ship to escape the bodyguard of Caledon and when they make love in the back of the car.
Rose craves a certain fantasy and Jack is able to fulfill this need within her. Rose forgets her troubles completely and feels like she can fly:
“Our ideal may be buried in disappointment, but it lurks underneath, waiting to be sparked. If another person seems to have that ideal quality, or to have the ability to bring it out in us, we fall in love.”
Here’s how you can be The Ideal Lover:
- Use your observant qualities. Ignore what your target says and their behavior. Use their tone of voice as your focus, and other less obvious triggers such as, when they blush and where they glance to. These are signs of what they feel most deeply but will not portray to you vocally;
- Discern what exactly it is that she is missing out on and what makes her feel disappointed. People don’t generally reveal these in a particularly obvious manner, so you will have to do this by picking up on her voice tone, hand gestures, or the look in her eye. Discovering what she is lacking will enable you to be her ideal;
- Don’t let work or money issues get in the way of your fantasy;
- By going back in time, you will be able to work out what ideals she has given up on and what has been repressed;
- If you can make her feel rejuvenated, larger than life and/or spiritual, then you will have a power over her that will have no limits;
- You must be patient and pay great attention to detail in order to undertake this approach successfully. There are not many Ideal Lovers in the world because people are usually so wrapped up in themselves and their own requirements, therefore becoming inpatient when having to work hard to decipher others’. But few women can resist a man who is so in-tune with their deepest desires.
All too often, Russel Brand, has been stated by the press as being a Dandy. They cannot kill their appetite for his off-screen antics, which the tabloids think make him a randy character. But what exactly is it the Russell Brand does to be able to pull off being classed as a Dandy? Robert Greene says that “The Dandy has a much more sinister effect. He lures the women in with exactly what she wants – a familiar, pleasing, graceful presence. Mirroring feminine psychology, he displays attention to his appearance, sensitivity to detail, a slight coquettishness – but also a hint of male cruelty. Women are narcissists, in love with the charms of their own sex. By showing them feminine charm, a man can mesmerize and disarm them, leaving them vulnerable to a bold, masculine move,” in his book, The Art of Seduction.
Brand’s best example of portraying The Dandy, can be seen during his audition for Forgetting Sarah Marshall.
To see how The Dandy plays their role, read the following steps as a guide:
- Be ambiguous! You may be heterosexual, but enable your psychological being and your mind to navigate easily between the two sides;
- Be both! Masculine and feminine, arrogant and charming, calm and over the top. You do not have time for worrying about social graces – that job is reserved for someone else, you are chasing something much more exciting;
- When you seem confident and sure of yourself, people will be drawn to you like a moth to a flame. You prevent people from being bored in any situation. You make life fun and exciting and people want to be in your company;
- Give a hint to people based on a hidden potential which others may not be able to see but you have seen in them: this will have anyone eating out the palm of your hand;
- Be a mental transvestite. Address the opposite sexes spirit, change your way of thinking to match theirs, imitate what they like, make your attitudes the same as theirs – all of these components will mesmerize your victim and enable you to seduce her!
The Art of Seduction illustrates that “Childhood is the golden pleasure we are always consciously or unconsciously trying to recreate. The Natural embodies the longed-for qualities of childhood – spontaneity, sincerity, unpretentiousness. In the presence of Naturals, we feel at ease, caught up in their playful spirit, transported back to that golden age. Naturals also make a virtue out of weakness, eliciting our sympathy for their trials, making us want to protect and help them.”
Jude Law illustrates this method by playing lead role Alfie in the Movie, Alfie. He is playful, childlike and has women falling at his feet thanks to his boyish charms. He concludes the film by reiterating all that The Natural is, by saying “…when I look back on my little life, and all the women I’ve known, I can’t help but think about all that they’ve done for me and how little I’ve done for them. How they looked after me, cared for me and I repaid them by never returning the favor.”
The Natural seducer has managed to avoid having childish elements knocked out of them by life as they progress into adulthood. These people are often very powerful with their art of seduction, even when they are still children.
To play the role of The Natural, you must:
- Get rid of any fear or awkwardness which you have developed over the years. You need to be graceful. If others resist, you must be as defenseless as possible;
- Don’t take yourself too seriously. Change up your image. Feel like a child. The more it seems like you are lost in your own little world filled with rainbows and butterflies, the higher the seduction success rate. Make your fantasy as extreme as possible and you will always attract attention;
- Lower the defenses of your desired target using your seeming innocence and childlikeness;
- Don’t be overly needy or beg for sympathy – nobody has got time to deal with that;
- You’re much too loveable for you to have to worry about upsetting or offending people. If you do, they will always forgive you.
In the Movie, Cruel Intentions, Sarah Michelle Gellar plays Kathryn, an extreme Coquette.
“A Coquette will hold their victim in thrall by delaying their satisfaction, pulling them back and forth between hope and frustration. They bait with the promise of reward – the hope of physical please, happiness, power – all of which, however, proves elusive; yet this only makes their targets pursue them all the more,” as defined by Robert Greene in The Art of Seduction.
Sebastian, Kathryn’s step-brother, tries to seduce virgin Annette, the “paradigm of chastity and virtue” aiming to ruin her social reputation. Kathryn does not think that Sebastian is capable and makes a bet with him: if he is unsuccessful, Kathryn will claim Sebastian’s vintage Jaguar, if Sebastian succeeds, Kathryn will allow him to “put it anywhere” and f*ck her brains out. Obviously, Sebastian agrees is ensnared!
Kathryn teases Sebastian during his attempt at seducing Annette, but she does not give him everything and this just makes him all the more determined.
If you want to be a Coquette, too, you will need to:
- Appear like other people are irrelevant to you, like you don’t need anyone – this will attract people towards you;
- Be able to engage your target on first meeting. This can be a sexual attraction or a trap of a different kind. But whatever you choose, you must also send out signals which contradict themselves to confuse your target;
- Be an emotional trap;
- Knock your target off balance. Keep her on her toes. Try being cold. Add a hint of surprise and intrigue to your character. When you withdraw you become more mysterious, so your target will gain more excitement towards you;
- Remember your ability to walk away and make your target do the legwork is key to being a Coquette. If you think your target may lose interest fast, then don’t surrender yourself. Make sure that your target fears any withdrawal – this is perverse pleasure and increases interest in you.
Now let’s look at Sebastian in Cruel Intentions – he’s relaxed, manipulative and the master of calculating any scenario. He is able to make Annette think that she is the epicenter of his universe just because he knows her two biggest weaknesses: her self-esteem and her vanity.
Despite the fact that Annette was warned about Sebastian and she is able to see straight through him, watch the swimming pool scene and notice how The Charmer is still able to sway his target into thinking that she is his world:
To play The Charmer, here are your rules:
- Find her points of weakness and strike;
- Make her the center of your universe;
- Listen and watch as your target reveals deeper and deeper elements of their being;
- Remember the more individual tailoring to your target’s insecurities, the more successful you will be in your quest;
- Make your target feel appealing to anything and anyone and they will become fully dependent on you;
- Do not talk about your personal issues – always be a source of comfort, support, and pleasure;
- Never be angry – you’ll just make her defensive and less receptive to you, your wants and your needs;
- Don’t criticize – she will become more insecure and will not welcome change of any kind. Plant an idea in her mind instead and then she will think it was her suggestion;
- Act like you’re a hypnotist – lull her into an extreme sense of comfort and ease. Emulate her, adapt to her. If people are attracted to other like-minded people, be like her and she will be trapped.
“Charisma is a presence that excites us. It comes from an inner quality – self-confidence, sense of purpose, contentment – that most people lack and want. This quality radiates outward, permeating the gestures of Charismatics, making them seem extraordinary and superior, and making us imagine there is more to them than meets the eye: they are gods, saints, stars, Charismatics can learn to heighten their charisma with a piercing gaze, fiery oratory, an air of mystery. They can seduce on a grand scale. Learn to create the charismatic illusion by radiating intensity while remaining detached”, Robert Greene noted in The Art of Seduction.
In the Movie, Anchorman, Will Ferrell plays the character, Ron, who is overtly Charismatic – his boldness, excessive animation and love of adventure and risk, show this. Despite encountering difficulties along the way, his way with words and his huge desire for Veronica (his target) enable him to get his girl:
Want to be more like Ron and play the ultimate Charismatic? Follow these steps:
- Have a purpose – if someone can see you have a clear plan, they will follow you;
- Be eloquent – to be Mr. Charismatic, you must have a way with words. This creates emotional carnage quickly;
- Use theatrics – be aware of yourself, try and see yourself through the eyes of other people;
- Remember to be fervent – believe in something and believe in it wholly. You need this to excite you, animate your character and light up your eyes;
- Try being adventurous – the adventurous and the risk-takers attract the bored. Be bold and have courage in what you do. Make sure that your risks are seen to have been done for the good of other people, not to pertain self-centered happiness.
In The Art of Seduction, Greene writes that “Daily life is harsh, and most of us constantly seek escape from it in fantasies and dreams. Stars feed on this weakness; standing out from others through a distinctive and appealing style, they make us want to watch them. At the same time, they are vague and ethereal, keeping their distance, and letting us imagine more than is there. Their dreamlike quality works on our unconscious; we are not even aware how much we imitate them. Learn to become an object of fascination by projecting the glittering but elusive presence of the Star.”
Yes, it is sort of difficult to be seen as a Star if you aren’t A-list royalty. But we wouldn’t be giving you a fair overview of all the different seduction types if we didn’t include them in our list.
In the Movie, Entourage, Adrian Grenier plays Vincent, who both shines and yet seems elusive, simultaneously. Only his closest friends know the real him and even to them he only gives away part of any wonderful secret. He leaves people wondering constantly. He appears seriously cross though he is just teasing his friends but his acting skills enable him to portray quite the opposite. The Star has the interesting capability of being able to keep everyone guessing – is this real or not?
Want to be The Star of the show? Here’s how:
- You’re a blank canvas. You commit to nothing;
- Learn to act using solely facial expressions;
- Work on your attention-seeking style;
- Don’t let anyone get too close to you – let them look at you but keep their distance – have an air of mystery;
- Make sure you’re a good mix of the real you and what she desires;
- Never give too much of yourself – make them wonder if they know you at all;
- Your words must be interesting but vague in their meaning.
So having been through our list of seductive types, we hope you’ve been able to decipher which you are and now know your strengths, any areas for improvement and ways to make your entrapment mission more successful in the future.
To learn more about your ways of seduction, take a look at Robert Greene’s post from his book, The Art of Seduction.
We think of Greene’s book as our “bible” and have read every single word of it. We also love Style’s book, The Game, as well as books by many other Master Pickup Artists.
Want to learn how to put your seduction technique to full use? Read The Tao of Badass review.
If you liked our post, please share it with your friend. Try tagging a friend for each of the seducer types – it’s a fun game!
To tell us what type of seducer you reckon you are, just comment below.